Tuesday 9 February 2010

KG - Treatment

I have written a first draft treatment, I think it is what we want, but I'm not sure whether there needs to be more detail or not, I never know how much to put in, because we want it to be interesting without giving everything away. I also don't have a name for our character. But here it is let me know what you think.

Treatment

It’s not uncommon for children to make friends with their dolls; it’s not even uncommon for them to talk to them. It only begins to become strange when the doll starts talking back.

Charlotte was like any other girl her age, her best friend was a doll, named Amelia, which had been her mother’s and had been passed on after her mother’s mysterious suicide some years before. Amelia was different from the other dolls; she wasn’t plastic like Barbie, but made of china and with a face that resembled the fragility of a disrupted childhood.

Charlotte and the doll were inseparable, so it wasn’t abnormal when they began talking. It started innocently, the demands weren’t difficult to obey, moving objects around and playing tricks on the other children; it was as the conversations became darker, the demands sinister that the situation began to reveal itself. Descending further and further into herself and the fragmented world created by Amelia, Charlotte begins to lose her sense of reality and believes her mother to be living in the doll. Amelia’s grip on Charlotte gets tighter as she declines further into her own insanity, until there is nothing but to continue with the threatening conversations and the consequences thereafter.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I think its really well written and keeps with the theme of our storyline. I really like he extra bit added in about the mother as well, adds an extra dimention to our story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was writing it I thought we needed a sort of explanation for the doll talking, so I gave her a mother, and I thought [although cliche] the child ought to be an orphan in an orhanage, but for the purpose of our opening we don't necessarily need any other children in, we can just create the effect.

    ReplyDelete